Saturday, June 14, 2008

Missed

She smiled today; you missed it.
With glistening eyes and mouth and tiny dimpled cheeks,
I know I am loved.
It was like sunshine on my soul,
and you missed it.

She laughed today; you missed it.
The sweetest squeal, a song of amusement because
I did something right.
A choir of angels lives in her voice,
and you missed it.

She cooed today; you missed it.
Gurgles and goos, her only words,
she shares her thoughts with me.
The best conversation I've had,
and you missed it.

You missed.

I wonder when she's older
if she'll ever think of you,
curiosity and confusion for a father
she never knew.
With your eyes she'll search mine for
answers to hard questions,
and you'll miss it.

Precious moments fly on inevitable wings,
you'll miss them all.
your own choice to miss.

Cushioned by love, she won't know
the void I felt.
The vacancy you created will be fulfilled before
she knows the difference.
She'll say 'daddy' for someone else's face.

She won't miss it.

2 comments:

Daisy said...

Wow! Did you write that?! It gave me goosebumps!

Momma C said...

Yeah....I've been going through a poetry phase lately. I've got a couple more rolling around in my head. Maybe I'll post 'em.