Saturday, April 10, 2010

Typical Saturday

While Maysie naps, I have the chance to get to my To Do's.... when there are no major things to do, I'm stymied. Strange. So I suppose some scripted reflection is in order....
Maysie has taken a liking to cleaning. She's always enjoyed sweeping the floor, helping to wipe the tables and picking up, but now she wants- WANTS- to wash her dishes out, too. I took some pics of her smiling while doing dishes to prove that it's her idea!



I think it's stinkin' adorable! Might as well nurture her desire to clean up after herself while she has one! She's getting to be so independent, too. I try not to offer her any help with little tasks unless she asks for it, and I always try to give her choices whenever applicable.

Lately, in order to feed the need to create that I've been feeling since Spring hit, I've been trying to come up with some new recipes. Food Network is one of my favorite channels, and the one I choose to watch the most after Maysie goes to bed. I get plenty of flavor ideas there, it's the execution I'm not familiar with. Tonight, I'm going to make a ground turkey pita with greek yogurt and cucumber dressing. We'll see how that goes.
I've also been using my classroom as a creative outlet, too. The Benchmark is next week, so my lessons have all focused on preparing the students for that lately, but I've already written out a scope for the rest of the year. I love the 6 weeks after Benchmark. The test stress is over, and I can focus on the areas of the curriculum that are not stressed on the English portion of the test. I plan to start with poetry: reading, interpreting, and writing, then move into drama: reading, writing, and performing! I can't wait! Several of the lessons/ activities are some that I've done before, some have been modified, but others are brand new! My favorite part about teaching is coming up with the lessons and accompanying activities. I also enjoy attending workshops for ideas. Most of my lessons are original, as far as I know, anyway.... I've found 3 local workshop that I want to attend this summer. I'm also attending the second year of a 2 year literacy program that my school is funding. It's out of town, which means I have to leave Maysie for 4 nights! Last year it nearly killed me! She kept asking where I had gone and waiting by the window for me to drive up. This year, I'm trying to work out a plan for Mom and Maysie (and Chadi, too, if he can) to come Searcy for the last day of the conference, and we'll all spend the weekend in Little Rock afterwards.
I feel a bit word-drained.... and my book is calling. A student of mine is foaming at the mouth to get his hands on the book when I finish it, too.....

No comments: