Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I know why the caged monkey goes nuts....

We are taking the BIG state standardized test this week at my school. Well, I say "we", but all I'm doing is reading from a script and watching a dozen of my 6th grade girls read, write, and fill in bubbles for 15 to 45 minutes at a time. I envy them that they actually have something to engage their minds in. I've been carrying a notepad around with me while I monitor them in case something pops into my head. I can't do anything about it, but I can write it down and do something about it later.
In the afternoons, our homerooms come to us for the rest of the day. I started to read Peter Pan, my absolute favorite book, to them yesterday, but they wanted to talk or play hand games or make smart remarks about the story..... it was quite frustrating. Today I let them play games and chat for an hour before torturing them with the brilliance of J. M. Barry again. They actually seemed to be into the story today, though. The first chapter is so full of analogies and figurative writing that they just didn't get it. But today the action was emerging, and the humor began to show. Waiting for the hour to pass before settling them was rough, though. I love those little toots, but they were certainly rowled up after sitting prostrate over a test all morning. Our principal dismissed all grades to play for the rest of the day at 2pm. Boy, they needed it!

No comments: