Friday, January 29, 2010

Snowed in....again

Three weeks into the new quarter at school, and we are dipping back into our summer with more snow days. Hmmph.... Well, perhaps I can catch up a bit on this ol' blog.

I've been making slow but sure progress with myself so far this year. I made a mental resolution list (which I had intended to post, but down-time usually turns to falling asleep on the couch come 9pm). So, I'll take it one resolution at a time, and fill in the details for each one.
1. Get in shape (welcome back, resolution #1...haven't seen you since early '09)
I've been going to the gym twice a week for cardio classes. I want to add another night of work-out time to my regime, but I don't want to be away from Maysie. I'm going to invest in a DVD and see how that goes. Maybe I can shoo my husband away for 30 minutes so I can get my sweat on. I really don't like to be watched while I work out, especially when doing aerobics and the watcher is not doing aerobics. I feel like I'm being scrutinized. I joined a "Biggest Loser" competition with other staff in my building. We each put in $10; the biggest percentage loser in 8 weeks gets the pot. I do not expect to win. Even if I reach my goal lossage, it will only be .07%. I only joined to help motivate me extrinsically; and it's fun to celebrate each other's successes. I've been trying to feed my family heathier, too. More fresh vegetables and such... but oh, do I love pasta. Tortellini may be the "death" of my waistline one day.
2. Be a better wife
This is the tough one. While I don't think that I'm a bad wife, I know I have room to improve. I'm trying harder to be patient and compromising with my husband (who has told me that I don't compromise), and I'm trying to communicate more openly and encourage him to do the same. In so many ways, we don't see eye to eye. And I'm beginning to notice that the more I learn about him on a deeper level, the more different I realize we are. But, we both love Maysie like crazy, and that's what matters most to me.
3. Bend a little
This one is somewhat derivative of resolution #2. I'm trying to let myself be okay with a divergance from the normal everyday routine with Maysie. So far, she's had dinner closer to 6 than 5:30 many nights, and lightening has not struck me yet. She has also gotten to bed at 8 rather than 7:30 several nights, and she still functions just fine at school. I'm also trying to be open to activities that previously I would not have even considered, like travel. A close family friend of my husband has invited us to his home in CA this April to celebrate his granddaughter's 3rd birthday. At first, I told Chadi, "You can go with out us. It would be too hard with Maysie's daily routine." But he encouraged me to think about it. We'd be staying with a family with 2 young grandchildren, so their house is equiped for toddlers, as well as their cars. The activities we would partake in would already be inconsideration of the 1 and 3 year old living there, so adding a 2 year old to the mix isn't a huge imposition as I imagined it would be. I told Chadi to accept the invitation. There's no going back now; I'm actually getting a bit excited!

I've kept my list at 3 resolutions for now. Maybe I'll add a few here and there as I find need to, but small is more obtainable. Wish me luck!

No comments: