Saturday, January 9, 2010

Breaking Cabin Fever

Because of the snow, ice, and school closing this past week, I have developed a case of severe cabin fever(due to sketchy road conditions, freezing temperatures, and lack of funding to really do anything). Last night, a dear friend rescued Maysie and me from our homebound status. We took a trip to Barnes & Noble for coffee and a change of scenery. I told Maysie we were going to the book store; her reply, "I play with choo choo train." She remembered the track set up in the children's area from the last time we visited a month or so ago. Not even 2 yet- she's brilliant, folks! Today, we ventured out yet again after nap. Daddy worked the mid-shift today, so it was just us girls. I drove by the book store, and Maysie pointed toward it and said, "I go that way;I play with choo choo train." (I'm not making this up- she's very articulate for her age.) Seriouly, how could I say no? Besides, I can (always) enjoy another mocha. (Two days in a row? Such luxury!) The trains were quite the popular hang out for preschoolers this afternoon. I could tell that Maysie might just be getting tired of the All-Momma-All-the-Time show at home when she eagerly and voluntarily showed her train to a strange man who was there with his child. She's not a shy girl, but it usually takes her some time and coaxing to warm up to a new face, but she might just have gone home with them if offered. Perhaps drop-off at her "school" Monday won't be so bad after all.

On a different note, I made an inch of progress with Project Reinvention today. I went to the gym this morning for their dance aerobics class. I really enjoyed it. I also checked out the child care area while I was there. I do believe Maysie will have fun there; maybe enough to not notice that Momma has run off to shake her hiney in Zumba. I've also been considering auditioning for the summer musical at my local theater in June. They're (funny, I used to say "we're" when referring to that same theatre) doing South Pacfic. At first, the show did not appeal to me, but I checked out a synopsis online, and it looks interesting afterall. I mentioed it to my friend last night, and she was very encouraging. (Don't ya'just love friends?) Since it's during the summer, I would have all day with Maysie (at least 3 week days anyway because I usually work in the summer); really, I would only be missing out on an hour of Maysie time and only 4 nights a week. That time, though, is when she has bath, story, and goes to bed- so it's quality time. It is only temperary, however. The biggest obstacle (besides the guilt I'd be struggling with for selfishly doing something only for me)is that my husband plans to visit his family in Egypt for the entire month of June, which is when rehearsals start. I would need to arrange for someone to bathe and put Mays to bed and stay at the house until I get home. My coffee friend expressed interest in helping if she is available, but I couldn't expect her to give up her Monday-Thursday evenings for the entire summer. Hmmmm..... I need to think about this one before I get my mind too set on the idea of auditioning. I really do miss the stage....

Next, now that I'm getting back into this blogging business, I need to revamp my page, but I really don't know how. I like having a picture, but it's too big! It askews the rest of my stuff. I also want to add links to other blogs that I look at, but, again, I don't know how.... My lack of techno-savvy really makes me feel old...

Finally- My husband likes to tease me about how many people in this town I know. I always see familiar faces when we're out and about. Today I saw 1 former student at B&N, and 1 current student (who looked surprised to find that I, too, go to Walmart), 5 former students, and 2 old friends at the store. So far it's a record!

No comments: